Pages

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Going on vacation? How to stay on track.

This past holiday weekend I vacationed in a warmer climate and it was so wonderful!!! Well, let me qualify that--the sun was wonderful, the relaxation was wonderful, the family time was wonderful, the 3-pound weight gain was NOT wonderful! I wanted to get that out there right off the bat, lest you think I have this one completely figured out.



So, how do you stay on track when you are on vacation? Here are a few tips that helped me navigate the weekend successfully, and a few that would have helped (had I followed them).

Tip #1: Know what you are going to do for exercise and when you are going to do it (i.e. what time of the day, which days, etc.). If you have the option/willpower, go to bed at a reasonable hour each night and get up early each morning to exercise. Getting it in before the activities (or relaxation) of the day get started will ensure it doesn't get lost in all of the fun and chaos that accompany most vacations.

Tip #2: If possible, stay in a place where you are able to prepare your own food so that you can AVOID EATING OUT FOR EVERY MEAL!!! Eating out for every meal, several days in a row, will add pounds and water retention faster than you can say "I can't see my ankles!"

Tip #3: Watch out for the "I'm on vacation, I should be able to eat whatever I want" mentality. In essence, what you are really saying is "I'm on vacation so I have the right to feel awful and gain all the weight I want." Don't fall for that rubbish! Please, love yourself enough to rise above this mindset and continue to nourish your body appropriately, even on vacation. I am not saying that you shouldn't allow yourself any treats. Just don't let the potato chips and sweets take over your entire diet while you are away. Choose to eat a dessert with lunch or dinner one or two days, or allow yourself to indulge in some way that appeals to you, but that will not be ongoing through the entire vacation.

Tip #4: If you are going to snack (in the car or in the hotel), prepare by bringing healthy snacks that will not leave you craving more and more. Sliced up veggies with hummus, apples or celery with peanut butter, raw nuts, or another healthy, whole foods snack will help to curb hunger cravings while helping you to avoid sugar or salt binges that leave you wanting to snack constantly. And when you do snack, be sure to SNACK MINDFULLY! (I know, I know--this is really two tips hidden in one!) Pay attention to what and how much you are eating, and be sure you are listening to your body so that you know when to stop.

If you follow these four tips the next time you go on vacation, I guarantee you will feel great throughout your trip, and you will come back from your vacation looking as svelte as ever, without having to fear that next encounter with your scale. Oh yeah--in case you were wondering: I followed tips #1 and #2 very successfully, but failed miserably on tips #3 and #4. Three pounds!!! Oh dear!

No comments:

Post a Comment