Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

One month of . . . almost perfection . . .

Well, the month of perfection is now past, and my first triathlon in over three years is completed. So the big question is this--did I complete my month of perfection PERFECTLY, or did I fail?

Let's examine this question for a minute. What does it mean to fail? In one sense it means that I didn't perfectly complete every workout according to contract. By this definition it's an all or nothing decision, and I clearly failed. )o:

Okay, now let's approach it from a different angle: Why did I create and sign this contract in the first place? Well, it was to help me prepare adequately for this landmark event in my life. Now, I had about three weeks of perfection, according to contract, and the last week was probably about 75%, so really not bad. And did I feel adequately prepared for the Woman of Steel triathlon which took place this past Saturday? You bet I did! I can honestly say that I didn't even feel nervous the morning of the event. I was calm and completely at peace, and I KNEW that all would be well. I knew I could do the distances, that I could complete the event without collapsing prior to crossing the finish line, and that I had guardian angels with me to make sure things went smoothly. Wasn't this my goal, and the whole reason for the month of perfection? So in the first sense (the one the courts would probably hold up) I might have failed, but in the second, more meaningful sense, I absolutely reached my goals, and therefore, I deserve to be rewarded. (o:

Per the contract, my reward was to be a $100 clothes shopping spree with my twin sister (and training partner). As this was the contracted prize, and I did not technically fulfill the contract, I thought it appropriate that I not take the $100 shopping spree. However, since I don't feel right about punishing myself when I did so well and was so successful, I am rewarding myself instead with a 1-hr massage. I think I'll call and make that appointment now . . .

4 comments:

  1. Oh, and what a delight that massage will be on that beautiful, worked-out, BRILLIANT, willing, and ABLE body of yours, little sister! Enjoy your wonderful success and your well-deserved reward. You are such an amazing woman! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, I love you SO MUCH! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right, sis! I'm glad you are learning to celebrate your successes rather than getting hung up on your perceived failures. You are so amazing, and I'm so proud of you! Look how far you have come in just these few months that we've been training for this. You rock! And for that reason, I'll go ahead and send you the number for the massage therapist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks sis. You're too kind. (o: Really, though, you are my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete